Ah Yat Seafood Restaurant

I quite like seafood and when I lived in Beijing I regularly went to a very good Cantonese seafood place for my fix of shrimp, lobster, scallops, steamed fish, razor clams and crab. After 5 years in Shanghai I never really bothered trying to find a replacement until one opened right on my doorstep.

It’s called Ah Yat (阿一) and it’s a very authentic Cantonese chain where they have water tanks stocked full of fresh live seafood that you can just choose and discuss with the chef how you want him to cook it.

The thing with seafood is it tends to be more expensive than regular meat and vegetables, so it’s not something you can have every day. However, they seem to be having an amazing promotion right now – choose from a choice of six items and you can have 2 items for 98 rmb, 3 for 128 rmb or what I selected, 4 items for 168 rmb. What an amazing bargain. I went for the shrimp (500g so a very generous amount), black pepper crab, a whole steamed turbot and just to mix it up a bit, the roasted pigeon. On top of that, I added a portion of green vegetables and some steamed scallops with garlic and that basically made for a seafood feast for 2. Total cost was 306 rmb (they gave us an additional 12% discount).

The place is located at the very end of Huaihai Road just before it intersects with Renmin Road. The building houses a Japanese shabu shabu restaurant and a club, but seems to be fairly unknown right now, so the seafood place generally isn’t too busy. Get in there while you still can!

Details:
49 Huai Hai East Road
East Huai Hai International Building, 3rd Floor
Tel : 6333 6188

This entry was posted in Food and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Ah Yat Seafood Restaurant

It’s getting a 4.5 rating on dianping

Thanks T, I’m glad it didn’t contradict my glowing review. Still, I’m worried about its survival as it doesn’t seem to have that critical mass of customers yet, despite being open for at least half a year now.

I assume you’ve been to Cha’s.

@T – Erm, yes, of course!

5. Rich says:

Sounds good. Perhaps I’ll suggest the pricing policy to Scotts in Mayfair.

I wonder if Ah Yat is as good as Charlie Chans in Cambridge next to Oddbins

7. Sweeeeeeet. Nice and cheap seafood restaurant is the best thing on earth!

@Rich – Hmmm, 17 pounds for 4 seafood dishes? I doubt that would get you a glass of water at Scotts, but do drop the idea in to their suggestion box!

@T – Obviously not, but when it’s hard to get to 14 Regent Street, Cambridge next to Oddbins, Ah Yat is a fair substitute!

@Shopgirl – Surely it’s not as good as a Louis Vuitton handbag!

9. jill says:

Might be wrong but think it’s Singaporean? It’s a chain all over Singapore – they also have one out in Hongqiao

@Jill – Could be, the logo is the exactly same (see top left corned of the flyer), but that could just mean it’s a copy, just like the Tang Chao (Sweet Dynasty) chain. There’s one in Shanghai and all the others in Shanghai are copies.

Yeah, it’s Singaporian. Again, another embarassment to HK that the best Cantonese restaurants in town (I count Crystal Jade) are Singaporian.

When is Maxim’s going to get here, dammit? Aside from Lawry’s . . . I need a Maxim’s Seafood or Dim Sum.

@T – Cha’s isn’t Singaporean and neither is Sweet Dynasty. We have Cafe De Coral. Their baked pork chop rice is quite passable. I’m still saving up for my next trip to Lawry’s. They used to do these crazy promotions but haven’t heard much recently.

I’ll give you Cha’s and Sweet Dynasty, but neither of those are really restaurants per se – cafes and quick service. Maybe you could count Zen, but while I think Zen is decent, I’d be hard pressed to say it’s amongst the better Cantonese places in town (I do like, however, the Cantonese restaurant at Le Royal Meridian People’s Square)