Steve Jobs, RIP

Former Apple CEO

Yes it’s been on the cards, but it was still a shock to wake up today to the news that Apple’s founder passed away last night in California.

He has literally changed the lives of millions of people with his creations going all the way back to the very first Apple computer. But it was his second stint at the head of the company where things really exploded with the fruit coloured iMac, the very first iPod and everything that followed.

There are people who don’t use Apple products who have been affected. If you’re tapping away on a rival tablet for example, it probably wouldn’t exist if not for the success of the iPad.

It was only a month ago, when he stepped down as CEO I wrote about some of the brilliant products he gave the world, and there’s thousands of articles today that will cover everything better than I ever could, so all I’ll say is thank you Mr Jobs for everything you’ve given us, for your passion for making excellent products. You’ll be missed.

(I’m currently in HK for the national day week long break, without a laptop, so this post comes courtesy of my iPad.)

This entry was posted in Current Affairs, Geek Central, Lifestyle. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Steve Jobs, RIP

1. Brando says:

I felt as if thousands of turtle-necked designers all called out at once….and were silenced.

On a more serious note, love him or hate him, it is undeniable that his vision had a profound impact on the development of technology, and will continue to do so for many years to come. Thanks for all you’ve done. Rest in peace, Steve.

Well pur Brando. There is a rumour that the new phone was called the 4S because it stands for “for Steve”.

Here is as good a summary as you’ll find from The Economist:

And if you read Chinese, Sina has put up an impressive micro site:

Very sad… and so fast after he stepped down. He made millions of people very happy.

Apple’s home page currently just says “Steve Jobs 1955 – 2011″; Google’s home page also has a simple tribute.

5. Stimpy says:

It is a sad day for technology innovation, but I think it’s wrong to suggest that there are only other tablet computers because there was the iPad.

@Stimpy – that’s not what I’m saying. All the major electronics companies rushed to launch their own tablets because of the success of the iPad and many failed like HP who discontinued there’s recently and sold the surplus stock off cheaply. Apple didn’t invent the tablet but they made it popular. If it wasn’t for the iPad they would be focusing on something else instead if trying to replicate the iPad. Kindle might still only be black and white too. In my humble opinion, of course.

Wired magazine has a very nice tribute page:

8. Ruo Xiaoan says:

steve jobs make many good things in life today. very sad

In celebration of the technical advances developed and inspired by Steve Jobs, the Chinese internet seems to be going exceptionally slowly today.

This morning I woke up and pretty much every person I know on facebook had made a comment dedicate to Steve Jobs. I think that alone says how much of an influence he had on us, especially those that are into technology.

11. Suey says:

waoi u need to add a like n unlike button to ur blog, thanks.

12. Hopfrog says:

It’s good to see so much goodwill directed toward the passing of an icon, but I can’t help but think about how odd it is that Steve, a well known tyrant who wasn’t very charitable is so loved by the public, yet a humble and incredibly benevolent guy like Bill Gates is vilified in many circles. That aside, it is Steve Jobs, warts and all, who made Apple what it is and helped shape the world like few others.

I whole heartedly agree WoAi, you wouldn’t be hearing jack squat about any other tablets without the iPad. It was a risky venture that was initially mocked as being an oversized iPod, and then when the sales figures came in, suddenly all the prototypes that had been sitting around in back offices as ‘novel ideas’ got rushed into production. It’s Steve’s willingness to takes risks and not worry about stupid crap like ‘losing face’ that made him and Apple what it is, imho.

Also, Apple had an iPhone 3G’S', after the 3G. The ‘for Steve’ sounds like a cute internet rumor.

@Wiseman – Yes, his impact on society was seismic. That’s in no way an exaggeration.

@Suey – You mean you’re too lazy to say whether you like a post or not?

@Hopfrog – Yes, he was a control freak and had high expectations of those he employed, but that’s really a large part of why the company was successful. I have discussed this with friends but for me it is quite obvious why we see this huge reaction – Bill Gates may be a lovely man but in terms of impact on our lives, it is a drop in the ocean compared to Apple. I could live without Windows or Microsoft Powerpoint, neither of which have enriched my life significantly.

Yes, I am sure it’s just internet rumour, although by that logic the new phone should be called the 4G, followed later by the 4GS.

I’ve no doubts about how tough and difficult SJ could be to work with, but for balance I thought this was a nice story about his nicer side, relating to the Gizmodo “stolen” iPhone 4 incident that happened last year (thanks Chris for the link).

15. hopfrog says:

No. The logic is that when Apple does not come out with a completely new model number, and they update a current product, they add an ‘S’ to the end of it. The 3G naming was a tie in to AT+T’s crappy network here in the states. The S most likely stands for second edition, but Apple doesn’t officially say.

I’m an Apple guy too, but there are plenty of other people who live without Apple products and have had their lives significantly enriched by MS products, though I think we could both agree, less significantly enriched.

@Hopfrog – Yes, but without Apple / SJ those MS users would be using a very advanced version of MS DOS :-p

Oh, I see what you mean. There was no iPhone 3, just iPhone 3G and then 3GS. As an iPhone 4 user I’m happy about that as it means I don’t have iPhone 5 envy, especially in Shanghai where I’m sure all the hot girls in the clubs will instantly dump the older model for the shiny new one as soon as it comes out.

@WoAi – Something I’m sure you’ve had experience with.

“I’m sure all the hot girls in the clubs will instantly dump the older model for the shiny new one as soon as it comes out.”

@T – For phones, yes. For “romance” I found the girls here prefer the older models like myself. That’s why I love China!

19. Hopfrog says:

I’ve got the iPhone 4 as well and it’s nice not to have iPhone 5 envy, but I must admit, after watching several videos of Siri in action, I do have Siri envy. I believe it is iPhone 4S exclusive and won’t come in iOS5 but I hope I am wrong.

MS users certainly owe their lacklust series of Windows GUIs to Apple, much as Apple users are indebted to the engineers at Xerox, whom Apple stole the concept and tech from. There was an excellent movie out a few years back called “The Pirates of Silicon Valley”. If this type of stuff interests you, it’s a fascinating flick worth a download rental. Haven’t checked if it’s available on iTunes but it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t carry it.

20. Hopfrog says:

Sorry, for a double post, but I looked into the Xerox case a bit further and didn’t want to spread misinformation. Xerox was compensated so it wasn’t theft, but the GUI was not an Apple invention, it came straight from Xerox Parc.

The movie implied theft, which is probably why it isn’t carried on iTunes. That aside, it’s an interesting look into the personal dynamics between Gates/Jobs and the development of the personal computer. While Jobs hated the fact that it implied Apple stole the GUI, he did say that the film got all of their personalities spot on and he even had Noah Wyle (who portrayed Jobs) come out in the black turtleneck and jeans to open a Macworld event.

@Hopfrog – I’ve heard that Siri is exclusively for the 4S, possibly due to the demands on processing power which earlier models won’t be able to cope with, although cynics are saying it’s to force you to upgrade.

I think the GUI / mouse issue is typical Jobs. Xerox had the technology but it was SJ who as soon as he saw it, saw its potential whereas Xerox just had it sitting there but no idea what to do with it. Noah Wyle as SJ huh. I can kind of see that. I’ll try to find the movie. Liked him in ER!

22. Hopfrog says:

“I think the GUI / mouse issue is typical Jobs. Xerox had the technology but it was SJ who as soon as he saw it, saw its potential whereas Xerox just had it sitting there but no idea what to do with it.”

Spot on