Love At First Sight

All photos taken with a steady hand and my 70-200mm f/4 lens and Canon 5D DSLR camera.

When I told my mates I was going to see Kylie all I got was ridicule, but I didn’t let that dampen my excitement.  I grew up watching Kylie on Australian soap Neighbours and listening to her records back in the 1980s, but I’ve never seen her perform till now.  I figured she won’t be touring for much longer so I decided to get the best tickets available, which also meant I was able to capture some pretty decent photographs which are proudly displayed here.

She played one night at Shanghai’s Hong Kou Foorball Stadium on Saturday night, her first full length concert here as part of her KylieX2008 world tour that started in Paris in May and ends in Melbourne, her birth place, on 22nd December.

I seem to have bad luck at concerts.  The last one I went to about a year ago, the girl in the row in front decided to sit on the arm rest between her seat and her boyfriend’s seat.  Because the arm rest is higher than the seat, she blocked my entire view for the entire concert.  This time, the girl in front of me decided she was going to stand on her chair, which again left me with nothing but a view of her big behind.  After about 20 minutes I had to tell her to get off the chair and to her credit she did so without too much fuss, although she must have known she was blocking my view even before I said anything.

The concert was more of a show than a concert, with several different acts and costume changes and a huge screen in the background that produced dazzling graphics to match the different sections.  Kylie ran through some old familiar hits interspersed by songs from her current album, X, which the tour is named after.

She ended the encore section with her 1987 hit I Should Be So Lucky, which brought me back in time (as well as a lump to my throat) and the more recent but equally popular Love At First Sight (2002).

She may not be the best singer on the planet but she’s so much more down to earth, less pretentious and less of a diva than quite a few others I could mention (Mariah!), and for that, I love you Kylie.  (Incidently, she was born in the same year – and month – as me, hitting the 40 year milestone last May and I must say, she looks pretty good for someone who’s knocking on the front door of middle age!)

For those of you in Beijing, she’s playing the Beijing Workers’ Stadium tonight before moving on to Taipei on 4th December, her last Asian stop.

This entry was posted in Entertainment. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Love At First Sight

1. Rich says:

Struth! Sounds like you had fun!

2. Miss Jane says:

She looks so amazing for her age. Too bad her lingerie line is so damn expensive! I was (in) ‘love at first sight’ at Agent Provocateur…

Miss Jane – I’d be happy to buy you whatever you want from Agent Provocateur, just send me the photos of you wearing them :-p

I am siding with those that made fun of you.

5. does that offer go for every female reader/commenter?

T – I’d be disappointed if you didn’t.

Angie – No, especially not you. Not because I don’t wanna see you in lingerie but because I know you’d call my bluff and do it!

7. Miss Jane says:

Woai-Deal! See you in Vegas in a few days at the Agent Provocateur store then!

Miss Jane – I’ll be waiting for you at the London branch, December 22nd. Merry Christmas!

9. Miss Jane says:

Isn’t there a store in Shanghai yet?

10. Miss Jane says:

I don’t do well in countries that drives on the other side of the road…I get lost and I will probably never find the store in London.

11. miss jane: I’M going to be in Vegas, too! (December 23rd-25th)

maybe MJ and i will just try on lingerie w/out you, Woai! =P

[calls travel agent desperately trying to find a ticket to Vegas ....]

13. Miss Jane says:

Angie-Doh! I will be there from Dec 3nd to 6th, then off to Puerto Rico. Maybe we can meet in Disneyland if I can get the time off during xmas! :D

Woai-Good things happen to those that waits.

14. Miss Jane says:

One things I don’t like about Agent Provocateur is that they don’t have nice hosiery selection! Gotta get some Italian ones in their stores!! >.<

Miss Jane – Carpe Diem, seize the day, enjoy life while you can! As some commenters have pointed out recently, I am not that young anymore!

16. Miss Jane says:

Go to bed early, don’t smoke, drink lots of water and smile you should know that age ain’t nothing but a numbah!

17. Andy Best says:

I grew up with Neigbours too and remember her ascent to Stock, Aitken and Waterman fame all too clearly.

I also cry when listening to I Should Be So Lucky, tears of despair for our ‘culture’.

18. b says:

Miss Jane – Kylie has an Australian range of lingerie that are at a much lower price point than Agent Provocateur.
    They have hosiery too. Find an Australian to send you some.

I wonder how Jason Donovan feels everytime he sees reports about Kylie’s wildly successful sell-out worldwide concerts.

19. Miss Jane says:

Thanks B. What does Sushi A says to Sushi B?

20. D says:

wowow! Are these your photos? Do you realise you can seriously sell them for money :)
    I love the contrast in the last one. bring us more!

D – Thank you that’s very kind, but no, there’s no way I could sell these, there are much better pictures out there from professionals who have a) better equipment and b) better access (I was in row 11).

Andy – So that wasn’t you I saw in the front row?

b – Jason Donovan had a bit of an addiction problem to blame for his fall from the limelight. It’s his own doing. That and an immense lack of talent :-p

22. shopgirl says:

Ohhhh I love Kylie Minogue, know all her songs! Love her album X

really pissed that I missed the show with just 12 days :(

23. D says:

i think one thing with taking theatre photos is its always got perfect lighting.
    what lens did you use?

D – It’s called the 小白 which means little white in Chinese. That’s what they call Canon’s 70-200mm f/4.0L. It’s called that because it’s like the baby brother to the much bigger 70-200mm f/2.8 which costs more than twice as much.

25. AM says:

I saw her show in London and it was so much fun…so many GAY men. Look but cant touch!

haha I considered going to see her in Beijing but it was sold out!!!! I remember all her songs being on the radio when I was a kid but frankly woai…despite the nostalgia….I never really liked her music! She does look damn good for her age tho! Shame not everyone wears so well, ay woai hehe

27. D says:

mmm i have a sigma 18-200 very crap/old dont even have the stabliser but i need a proper lens. and my 20D is too old now. But the problem is I always travel with the camera never take care of it….

wiseman try to negociate a ticket outside of the stadium on the day :p you can always get a last min ticket

kylie is an Aussie, thats why she is so beautiful.:p but she is not as sucessful there comparing to euro. her sister is trying to make it in the UK too…

AM – That’s one big difference with London and Shanghai. In Shanghai there were no gay guys at all, just a lot of bisexual Shanghainese boys with their Shanghai princesses!

Wiseman – There MUST be tickets, just go on the night. Shanghai wasn’t even 3 quarters full.

Angie – Very good!

D – Yes, image stabiliser really would help but what is the maximum aperture at 200mm? Mine is f/4 but no IS which is very limiting. Might have to trade up to the f/2.8 but that’s about 1500 USD.

29. Miss Jane says:

Angie-*two thumbs up*

Woai-Who’d knew we’d have a lot in common when it comes to talking about cameras and lingerie. Mmmmmmm…

Miss Jane – Lingerie yes, but camera discussion I thought was with D, or are you the same person :-p

31. Miss Jane says:

I am a virgin when it comes to SLR technology but slowly evolving and i can understand some lens talk etc. Point and Shoots are not new to me. I am on my 8th point and shoot. Planning to get another one ;cuz its so damn cheap!

Miss Jane – Make sure you get one with smile detection. It really is amazing. It won’t take the photo until you smile!

33. Miss Jane says:

Why all the Sony CyberShots and DSC models have that feature. It’s one of the reasons why I am stuck with a Sony right now. But I am going back to Canon and Nikons for P&S.

34. D says:

yes i got everything very early so need to treat myself for xmas :)

35. Tripfriend says:

What a coincidence. I was singing one of her songs that very night at KTV.

Tripfriend – It’s no coincidence. A night at KTV is never complete without a few Kylie songs!

Do the Sony P&S’s have open-eye detection as well? That would be really useful (though less so for friends who always close their eyes when they smile)

38. sarah says:

Are you allowed to take pictures at events like this in China, or did you have to be sneaky about it? Sounds like too fancy of a camera to be sneaky.

CP – They’d make a fortune if they could include that feature! Hard to take pictures of people sleeping though!

Sarah – You can take anything in to concerts including cameras and movie cameras. I don’t think there’s any threat. There official cameramen have MUCH better positions so you’ll never get better photos than they get. I think it’s different for a play but a concert is fine.

40. D says:

i tried taking some portrait shots at a recent dave holland gig @ rotterdam but half of those are blurry due to my stupid lens :(

D – The important thing is to set a fast shutter speed otherwise you get blur from two factors:

1) Camera shake from your hand not being able to hold still for too long.

2) Subject movement during the exposure.

The problem is, a fast shutter speed requires bright lighting or a very wide aperture and wide aperture lenses cost more than my camera.

42. D says:

i need a one day technical crush course/photo walk :)

43. Swiss James says:

I came across these great photos of the concert on a British girl’s blog called I Love China.

Now why on earth would she think you were a lady?

44. wancestyle says:

LOL @ SJ

Maybe WoAi’s metrosexuality has gone a little bit too far with this post, to the point that some readers may be uncertain about his gender! WoAi, you can still make it up by showing us more from your private collection of “friends” ;)

D – I can offer you a one day course no worries.

Swiss – My God! I have contacted my solicitor. We’ll have that site shut down by Friday.

Wancestyle – I have nothing to prove and there’s a reason it’s called a PRIVATE collection. I’m comfortable with my masculinity. Anyone wanna go watch a boxing match and have a few pints of beer this weekend?

46. wancestyle says:

Premier League or Serie A football would also make it. Just dont’ give me Bundesliga please. Danke, mate :)

La Liga? The Spurs manager Juande Ramos has just taken over at Real Madrid. I think that’s the 136th manager in the last 12 months. Those guys are insane.

48. wancestyle says:

La Liga? Vamos! I can’t wait to make fun of those pompous asses who like to call themselves “Los Galacticos”!

Wancestyle – The hired Capello to bring the the league title to Madrid. He wins La Liga and is sacked straight after because he didn’t play the big stars enough. Madrid’s loss is England’s gain though.